Monday, April 4, 2011

Get Well Juice


I have been really sick the past week and a half. Fever, chills, aching all over, sore throat, terrible sinus pressure, constant coughing...the whole nine yards. I have tried anything and everything I can think of  to try to kick this sickness out of my system. I have been to the Doctor, been on antibiotics, tried 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 tablespoon of honey twice a day. Made a tea that had cayenne pepper, lemon, ginger, and apple cider vinegar in it. Drank countless cups of throat coat tea and a tea that says it is good for colds. Slathered myself in Vick's vapor rub and also have Vick's in a crock pot in my room so the whole room smells like the stuff. Gargled with salt water several times a day. Used my Netti pot twice a day. Eaten chicken noodle soup with cayenne pepper in it. Taken loads of vitamin C, vitamin D, and garlic pills. Drank lots of kefir, and downed several cups of aloe juice.

When none of this seemed to be helping me and most of it tasted terrible, I decided to get my juicer out. I use to juice a lot, but then I got pregnant with Little Man and just the thought of veggie juice made me gag, so it has been over a year since I last used my trusty juicer.

As soon as I got the juicer out Little Girl got all excited and Emma (our dog) started jumping around like she was a little puppy again ( if you don't know...our dog LOVES any vegetable and any fruit...nothing makes her run into the kitchen faster than the sounds of the colander and the cutting board coming out of the cabinet. Yeah, I know....she's strange). I've been juicing for the past five days and I'm finally feeling better. You can call it a coincidence that I'm finally feeling better, but I'm going to stand by my theory that this juice is what finally did the trick!




Little Girl begs me to make this juice for her and is such a good helper. She takes her job of handing the carrots to me very seriously.



  She doesn't come up for air when she is drinking this and she usually asks for another cup.



The juice in all it's glory. I drink about 16 ounces a day.



Here's what I usually juice:

Organic carrots
Red delicious apples
Cucumbers
Ginger (sometimes)
Romain lettuce
Kale


If you want to feel younger, healthier, more alive, and have skin that glows, then I recommend you start juicing. When else are you going to eat all those vegetable...I mean, could you imagine putting all those vegetables on a plate and actually trying to eat them all? So why not get it all over with in one glass of goodness. Oh, and it actually tastes good! I'll be honest, I didn't always like the way it tasted. In fact, I use to hate it,  but I just kept making myself drink it until I finally starting liking it, and now I can honestly say that I love it.

Another benefit of juicing is that I can give the pulp from the vegetables to our dog and our bird and they love it, and then I can compost the rest. So, dust off those juicers sitting in the back of your cabinets and start juicing again, and if you don't have a juicer then go get one. Ours only cost about 50 bucks. I've used it a lot in the three years we've had it, and I think it does a pretty good job!

Okay, I just reread this post and I've decided that I sound like an infomercial...ha-ha! Maybe I have a future in television marketing?? =)

6 comments:

  1. YOU ARE RIGHT ERIN---JUICING IS HEALTHY AND CAN BE DELICIOUS--
    IT IS MUCH BETTER FOR ARIA AND CHARLIE TO LOVE JUICES RATHER THAN A COKE--!

    A GOOD JUICER LASTS FOREVER---IT IS WORTH THE PRICE----THANKS FOR THE BLOG-
    IT IS A GOOD REMINDER TO ALL OF US---

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so need to be juicing more. I'm pitiful, the main reason I don't is prep and clean up - which is all of what? a total of 10 minutes? I just need to leave the thing on my counter. Amelia loves it, Isabella would rather eat the raw kale and carrots, but doesn't like them in a juice - weirdo. :) I'm going to have to write myself a note and make myself accountable to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The juice in the cup looks really good actually! If you drink 16 oz of the juice a day, are you still hungry for other meals or does it really fill you up? I may have to try this someday! It just might be the trick. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DeAnna, i feel the same way...the clean up is what keeps me from doing it a lot of times. But you are right it really that time consuming. That's cool you have healthy eaters...I "hide" the veggies in most of lil girl's food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jrnnifer,
    I don't think it really fills me up that much. Like, I couldn't just drink a cup and not eat a meal...but I like to eat, so...=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found out that we own a juicer! So I'm definitely going to be trying this :)

    ReplyDelete