Thursday, April 14, 2011

Early Garden Update



The early garden seems to be going well to date. Above is the first bunch of radishes I was able to harvest just a couple days ago. They're always fun to plant, since they mature so quickly. My dad planted radishes with me when I was just a little guy for that very reason. I remember being pumped as a child when we got to pull them up, even though I don't remember ever eating them. In fact, as much as I am trying to involve little girl in the garden, I noticed these were ready when I was checking the garden after work. And yeh, I went ahead and pulled them up without even thinking about going inside and getting her to help. Guess it's the little kid in me. We've got some more that are ready, so I'll get her on those. So far everything is looking great including the carrots, lettuces, spinach, and potatoes. The broccoli seems kinda small so far, so I'm not holding out on getting much there. Well, here's what we did with the radishes.





And no, those aren't my carrots...I wish. We took the radishes and some garlic, ground them up, and mixed them in some creme cheese. Made a pretty good dip for the carrots that lasted us a couple days. Not sure what I'm going to do with the tons of radishes I have left to pull up over the next couple weeks. Going to scour the internet for new recipes. Should be fun. I've got my way-too-late spring break next week, so I've promised little girl I'd take her to County Boys to buy our summer garden plants. I'll hopefully update with those events next week.

6 comments:

  1. I love plain radishes with just a sprinkle of sea salt and fresh ground pepper--crunchy and much better for munching than potato chips, plus it's great for clearing up your sinuses (if you don't mind spicy). Probably not the most kid-friendly recipe, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen...I'll give it a try. Sounds good! Chips are my downfall too, so a healthier option is good. I was actually thinking of maybe slicing them thin and baking them with some sea salt so they'd kinda be like chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you guys have produce already! Didn't you JUST plant? We haven't even built our veggie bed yet. I guess there is still time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever roasted radishes? I just started doing it recently, and they are delicious! I slice them about as thin as a scalloped potato, and I add baby carrots, stir canola oil through them, add salt and pepper, and some powdered ginger, and bake until tender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look awesome! And the recipe for dip sounds great as does the idea about roasting them like chips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I COULD NOT IMAGINE WHAT YOU HAD SO QUICKLY---I WAS ANXIOUS TO CHECK THAT OUT---('-') WE DID NOT PLANT ANY RADISHES THIS YEAR BUT WISH I HAD NOW--
    THE RECIPE FOR THE DIP SOUNDS GOOD ALSO--
    TELL GERALD---THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL RADISHES----!!!

    LOVE THE BLOG----
    MEME====

    ReplyDelete